Hungary maintains traditionally excellent relations with the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and is a focal point of the Southern Opening policy of the Hungarian Government. The good personal relations (the number of Vietnamese intellectuals graduated in Hungarian universities during the 70’s and 80’s is about 4.000), traditional and good history of cooperation, Hungary’s expertise on political and economic restructuring after the regime change creates stabile profound to succeed the goals of the Hungarian Government’s policy.
Hungary and Vietnam established diplomatic relations on 3rd February 1950.
His Excellency Mr. Csaba Őry, Ambassador of Hungary to Vietnam (and accredited to the Kingdom of Cambodia) presented his credentials on 27th May 2015 in Hanoi.
The General Consulate (closed earlier in 2006) was re-opened in March 2015 led by the General Consul H.E. Mr. Tibor Baloghdi. The General Consulate was re-opened officially on 13th January 2016 by H.E. Mr. Péter Szijjártó, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade during his visit. Please visit the General Consulate website here.
In April 2010 the National Assembly of Hungary established the Hungarian - Vietnamese IPU Friendship Group, while the National Assembly of Vietnam established the Vietnamese – Hungarian IPU Friendship Group in November 2011. The Hungarian-Vietnamese Friendship Group of the National Assembly of Hungary and the National Assembly of Vietnam also hold regular contacts, the President of the Hungarian Group is H.E. Mr. Árpád Pótápi, State Secretary for National Policy of the Prime Minister’s Office. H.E. Mr. Zsolt Semjén, Deputy Prime Minister and H.E. Mr. János Latorcai, Vice President of the National Assembly held bilateral talks in Hanoi in March 2015 on the side-line of the Assembly of the Inter-parliamentary Union. The President of the National Assembly, H.E. Mr. László Kövér paid an official visit to Vietnam in November 2015, the Vice-President of the National Assembly in January 2017 to Hanoi. H.E. Mme Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, President of the National Assembly of Vietnam held official talks in Hungary with the President, Prime Minister and President of the National Assembly of Hungary in April 2017 in Budapest and opened the first Hungarian-Vietnamese Parliamentary Seminar.
The high level political visits, the agreements signed recently, institutional cooperation all serve the strategic development of the bilateral relations to ensure the real growth of this friendly relation among the advantages of the 21st century.
Recent high level visits continued during the last decade. Head of state visits occurred in 2008 (H.E. Mr. László Sólyom) in 2013 (H.E. Mr. Truong Tan Sang) and in 2014 ( H.E. Mr. János Áder). Prime Ministers met in 2005 (H.E. Mr. Ferenc Gyurcsány) as well as in 2009 (Nguyen Tan Dung), while Deputy Prime Minister met in 2012 (H.E. Mr. Tibor Navrasics) and in 2013 (Nguyen Thien Nhan). H.E. Mr. Péter Szijjártó paid an official visit to the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in October 2012 as Foreign Affairs and Trade State Secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office (and as Chairman of the Hungarian-Vietnamese Joint Economic Committee) and the second time in January 2016 as Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
During the past years the cooperation has strengthened between the Ministries of the two Governments, new fields of common interests were defined. The Judicial cooperation between the Ministry of Public Administration and Justice of Hungary and the Ministry of Justice of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a one of a good example: the Hungarian side held seminar in Hanoi on “Good governance” for civil servants of the Vietnamese Ministries, focusing on public administrative reform, administrative procedures and civil registry.
Besides the ministerial links several interinstitutional connections between the supreme courts, prosecutor services, State Audit Offices, National Olympic Committees, twin cities have structured mechanism, based on agreements, serving mutual interests and creating real possibilities for sharing experience and professional work.
The two countries – Hungary as Member State of the European Union and Vietnam as Member of the ASEAN – can provide regional gates to each-other. Vietnam was the EU Coordinator of ASEAN for 3 years term after 2012, while the General Secretary of ASEAN is a Vietnamese diplomat, Le Luong Minh since 1st January 2013 for five years.
H.E. Mr. Péter Szijjártó, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade signed the intergovernmental financial agreement about the establishment of an Oncological Centre in Can Tho Province, based on which Hungary provides tied aid to Vietnam worth 60 million euro. The foreign minister also signed the educational work plan for the period of 2016-2018 providing one hundred state scholarship to Vietnamese students.
Hungary signed 8 intergovernmental and more than 23 inter-ministerial agreements with Vietnam since 2013. During the visit of H.E. Mr. Truong Tan Sang, president of Vietnam to Hungary in September 2013, the two sides agreed on an intergovernmental nuclear and water agreement, a cooperation agreement between the capitals, health agreement, cultural workplan, two agreements on criminal law (extradition and mutual transfer of convicted), sport agreement. During the visit of H.E. Mr. János Áder, President of Hungary to Vietnam in November 2014, seven agreements were signed: inter-ministerial agreement on plant protection, IT agreement, cooperation between MTVA Zrt and the Voice of Vietnam, cooperation agreement between the Academy of Music of Hungary and that of Vietnam,
a contract on public storage co-operation and another to
provide an arsenic removal and water purification machine to a school in Hai Duong province as well as another water company agreement.
H.E. Mr. László Trócsányi, Minister of Justice of Hungary signed the inter-ministerial cooperation agreement and the new Civil Rights Assistance Agreement in March 2016 during his visit to Vietnam.
High Level Visits
- 2017 – Visit of H.E. Mme Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, President of the National Assembly to Hungary
- 2017 – Visit of H.E. Mr. Gergely Gulyás, Vice-President of the National Assembly to Vietnam
- 2016 – Visit of H.E. Mr. Péter Szijjártó, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade to Vietnam
- 2016 – Visit of H.E. Mr. László Trócsányi, Minister of Justice to Vietnam
- 2015 – Visit of H.E. Mr. László Kövér, President of the National Assembly to Vietnam
- 2014 – State visit of H.E. Mr. János Áder, President of the Republic of Hungary
- 2014 – Visit of Minister of Culture, Sport and Tourism Hoang Tuan Anh to Hungary
- 2013 – State visit of President Truong Tan Sang to Hungary
- 2013 – Visit of Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Thien Nhan to Hungary
- 2013 – Visit of Minister of Justice Ha Hung Cuong to Hungary
- 2013 – Visit of Zoltán Balog Minister of Human Resources to Vietnam
- 2012 – Visit of Tibor Navracsics Deputy Prime Minister to Vietnam
- 2012 - Visit of János Martonyi Minister for Foreign Affairs to Ho Chi Minh City • 2009 - Visit of Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung to Hungary
- 2008 - Visit of Chairman of the National Assembly Nguyen Phu Trung to Hungary
- 2008 – State visit of President László Sólyom to Vietnam
- Intergovernmental Agreement on the Establishment of a Framework Programme for Financial Cooperation (2017)
- Agreement on Cooperation Between the Ministry of Justice of the Socialist Republic Of Viet Nam and the Ministry of Public Administration and Justice of Hungary (2016)
- Educational Exchange Program for 2016-2018 (Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship program) (2016)
- Intergovernmental Agreement on the Establishment of a Framework Programme for Financial Cooperation (2016)
- Intergovernmental agreement on training, research, regulatory and technical cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy (2013)
- Intergovernmental agreement on water management (2013)
- Intergovernmental Treaty on Criminal Extradition (2013)
- Intergovernmental agreement on the transfer of sentenced persons (2013)
- Intergovernmental agreement on cultural cooperation (2013)
- Intergovernmental agreement on educational cooperation (2013)
- Memorandum of understanding on co-operation in the field of sports (2013)
- Agreement on co-operation in the field of health care (2013)
- Cultural Work Plan for 2014-16 (2013)
- Agreement on cooperation between the two State Audit Offices (2013)